The lockdown had already lasted sixteen days. Rumors hollered onto the gallery said it was supposed to last another two weeks, so when I heard the tell-tale electronic buzz and pop of my cell door being unlocked, I was pulled from my state of drowsy half-slumber and made immediately awake, but not entirely alert. A glance at my watch told me it wasn’t yet nine in the morning. It wouldn’t have mattered if it were high noon, though, because on a lockdown all movement is suspended unless there’s an emergency. My name was called out by the C/O silhouetted in the doorway. I was told to put my blues on and informed that the counselor wanted to see me.

Normally, I would have already been awake for about four hours, but the last of my instant coffee had been dissolved days earlier. Without caffeine as fuel, I was sleeping more and felt lethargic and mentally dull. As I pulled my clothes on, I tried to pummel my brain into better working order and force it to deduce what this could be about. Once I stepped to the door, I saw C/O Whyler had been sent to retrieve me. He was a little guy—his chin barely reached my chest—but he was one of the good ones. I’d known him a while. I thought it was strange that he wouldn’t look me in the eye—and stranger still that he handcuffed me in the front. Protocol for movement outside the cell during lockdown, even just to walk an inmate across the deck for their weekly shower, dictated that hands had to be cuffed behind an inmate’s back.

I asked Whyler what this was about, but he just shrugged and continued to avoid eye contact. He told me that the counselor said I had a phone call. At the time, I was in the midst of a legal appeal, trying to reduce my sentence, and my attorney had stated in a recent letter that once she had reviewed my case she would contact the warden of the institution to set up an attorney phone call. This is the only thing I could imagine it could be. I was woefully wrong.

There was a strange, sad look of pity and shame on Whyler’s face as he deposited me in the counselor’s office and retreated to the other side of the closed door. I took a seat in the chair in front of me. A desk separated the counselor and me, and a few file cabinets lined the wall to my right, with four feet of space between the file cabinets and the desk. The chair he sat in was nearly touching the wall opposite the door. It wasn’t merely a cramped space; it was a claustrophobic’s nightmare.



Counselor Nettles filled his particular office chair and then some, his girth beginning to rival his height. He wore thin-framed, gold-colored glasses and had a baby-smooth, ugly, fat chin. Male pattern baldness and he were well acquainted. Without looking up from the paperwork he was filling out, Counselor Nettles spoke with tones of disdain and superiority.

Well, your father called around and got a hold of the warden, so you get a phone call. Only for five minutes. I’ll dial the number, make sure it’s your father, then give you the phone. You only get five minutes. What’s your grandmother’s name?”

It took me a handful of seconds to flex my tongue, but I told him. He asked several more questions in a hurried rush, like this situation was a terrible inconvenience to him. My grandmother’s age, date of birth, address—most of which I didn’t know off the top of my head. Once he was done scribbling, he passed the sheet of paper across to me, along with a pen.

Here, sign this,” he instructed while picking up the telephone receiver and asking for an outside line. I barely looked at the page; it was a log sheet to keep an official record of the phone call I was about to make, but provided no information or insight into my situation. Perhaps it was my own mental defenses working overtime, but I still had made no connection or leaps of logic based on the knowledge I had at hand. Passing the signed document back, I finally found the ability to ask what I’d been wondering since Whyler had shown up at my cell door.

Wait, what is this all about?”

photo by nattavut
photo by nattavut

Counselor Nettles peered at me over the top of his glasses with a perturbed look of impatience and naked annoyance. Apparently, I had interrupted him as he was punching in my father’s cell phone number on the landline’s keypad. He looked back at the phone and pressed the final few digits with a bloated index finger before meeting my gaze.

Oh. Your grandma’s dead.”

This particular bit of life-altering news was imparted in the same tone that a server at a restaurant might use to let the customer know that they’re all out of Dr. Pepper. The phone’s receiver was suddenly in front of my face. Counselor Nettles was waving it before my eyes as an indication for me to take it. I was stunned, mentally numb and momentarily paralyzed. The news felt untrue, impossible. My mind tried to wrap itself around the idea, but kept rejecting the notion as cancerous and unwelcome. After a long moment, I reached out with an arm that didn’t feel like my own. He pulled the phone back before I could grasp it.

Five minutes only,” Nettles said again before finally giving me the connection to the outside world. Then, he stood and made his way around the desk, rubbing his considerable belly against me as he tried to force his too-big body through the narrow space between my chair and the filing cabinet. After a struggle, he slid past and provided his final parting message before closing the door behind him.

Remember, five minutes.”

My father’s voice came to me from what felt like a thousand miles away, full of emotion and heavy with tears he’d shed for his departed mother and those still yet to fall. He called me by my childhood nickname, and I wept like I was that child once again. I knew my grandmother had been in the hospital, but I thought she was past the worst of it. I didn’t know she was still sick, so close to the end. But then, who ever does know?

Once I hung up, I sat in the plastic chair, handcuffs biting into my wrists. I wiped the tears from my face and tried to stuff all my emotions back below the surface, where I had to keep them hidden from everyone around me. Then, like the flipping of a switch, all of my sadness, shock, and grief morphed into an anger and immense rage directed toward the callous Counselor Nettles. I stood, stepped to the door, and turned the doorknob—an inherently awkward action for someone in handcuffs. Passing through the threshold with violent purposes on my mind, I cast my eyes from side to side in search of the one upon whom I intended to heap all my hate.

HandcuffsI would later learn that the position of counselor is a union job and is gained not by being properly trained and highly qualified, but by being the one with the most seniority who bids on the job. Counselor Nettles proved that not only were training and qualifications moot, but that basic human decency, kindness, empathy, and compassion were also not prerequisites for the job.

It was probably a good thing for the both of us that Nettles was nowhere to be seen when I burst from his office. By that point I wasn’t doing a lot of thinking about right and wrong or about the consequences of my actions—I only wanted to hurt the man. C/O Whyler was there, waiting for me. Compassion colored his voice and touched his features as he asked if I was okay. This served to quench much of the fire flaring within me.

Whyler escorted me back to my cell, but he didn’t really rush. He let me shuffle along slowly so I could have a few moments of solitude before my forced co-habitation with my cellie began again. In prison, showing emotion equals weakness, and predators are always ready to pounce on a potential victim and take advantage—even guys they’ve known for a while and consider a friend. I wasn’t relishing the idea of going back to my cell, so I would have to hide whatever emotions were working their way through my system. Passing by the solid steel doors of the cells leading to mine, I didn’t hear a sound. People tend to sleep their lives away during a lockdown. I wished I was still sleeping, too, dreaming of something better than my reality.

At my cell, Whyler removed my cuffs before opening the door—a clear violation of the lockdown movement regulations. He said I could take a minute for myself before he had to put me back in the cell, and asked me if I was going to be okay. The truth was that I thought I actually was okay, that I had control over both my rage and grief. I looked at the C/O, and his sincere kindness touched me. Then, like a cord stretched beyond its breaking point, something vital snapped in my throat and chest, releasing a tsunami of unchecked emotion. I clamped my mouth shut, but a whimper escaped me before I could. I bit my lip and battled the burning tears at the edges of my eyes. My heart sped up so quickly that it felt like only a vibration in my chest, one that quickly morphed into an uncontrolled shaking in the rest of my torso. I had to hug myself to keep from losing it completely.

bpw-logoWhyler looked as lost as I felt, wanting to help but not knowing what he could do. I heaved out two huge sobbing breaths, hauled them back in, and, with a practiced act of will, clamped down on the gush of emotions. After using my sleeve as an improvised handkerchief and taking a few deep breaths, I had outwardly collected myself. I even managed to plaster a small, polite smile on my face.

You ready?” Whyler asked.

I nodded. “Yeah. Thanks,” I replied. It was all I could push out before I had to clench my jaw tight. My emotions were threatening to betray me once more.

Officer Whyler nodded and eyed me for a moment. “You want to talk to somebody?” he asked. “Counselor? Chaplain?”

I nodded my head vigorously.

The chaplain?”

I nodded again, not trusting myself to speak.

All right. I’ll let him know.”

I gave a slight nod and poured every ounce of gratitude into the look I sent Whyler’s way.

I gotta lock you up now.”

I nodded my assent and moved aside for him to key the lock and let me in. Stepping into the darkness and warmth of my cell, I heard the murmuring snores of my cellie.

Just before the door lock clicked into place, I heard Whyler’s hushed voice. “I’m sorry.” Then I felt alone.

The chaplain never came. Lockdown lasted another two weeks. I carried my grief in silence.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: